Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Old Treasures

My grandma Diana died a year ago. She was from Mississippi (or Mi'ssippi, as the natives call it). She ended up in Texas with her family because she married a man going into the US Air Force. I grew up in Ft. Worth because that is where Carswell AFB was found at the time. 
Several years ago, there was a fire in the home that she shared with my grandfather. Most of the damage was smoke damage, so many items were kept. After she passed away last year, my mom was tasked with going through all of her things. Apparently, there were quite a few quilters in the family a few generations ago! I had no idea until my mother found an old, smoke damaged cedar chest full of textile treasures! Most of the items were quilt tops (Kay Bell calls them flimsies, which I love), yardage and pieced blocks. 
One set of paper pieced blocks has newspaper from 1939. There are many references to the war, to Hitler, and Poland. It is fascinating! If you are like me and want to see more of these pieces and read some of the text, you can follow the link at the bottom to a photo album I created for the images with newsprint.


One day soon, I will pull down the tops and take some photos to share!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment